Sunday, May 22, 2011

Miracle or Gimmick or Ignorance?

A few days ago, I received an email from an ex-colleague (AC) whom I have not kept in touch. AC was so excited about the "good" news that he sent an email about the miracle performed by his church pastor. 

Quoted from the pastor's email:
"Arising from the many testimonies in different countries of people healed of terminal illnesses by either applying the tissue in faith or singing the song from their hearts, God directed me to arrange small groups of about 150 people with HIV and cancer.
.
Later on in February 2011 another healing group was started, in the same four centres in Masaka, Uganda. Blood tests were done in April by the same medical team as the first group. Again God healed far more than I had prayed for. Out of 146 people with HIV, God healed 113, representing 77%! The substantial increase in the healing percentage is due to the fact that the participants were told that the first fellowship had a healing percentage of 57%, which really encouraged them."


Obviously, I am skeptical about the "miracles". If the claim is true, I think the Gates foundation should just engage this pastor and not wasting billions of dollars on researching the cure for HIV/AIDS. Coincidentally, I am volunteering at the Communicable Disease Center (CDC) for HIV/AIDS patients. Hence, I invited the pastor to volunteer at CDC and would introduce him to the doctor-in-charge. I hope to witness his miracle.

It has been a few days and I have not heard from this pastor yet. If there is any response from him, I would update it on this blog.

Another thing that puzzled me is AC who is a smart guy with good education background (graduated from local university and studied in top schools in Singapore). How could AC be so gullible to believe the "miracles" performed by his pastor in Africa? Why didn't AC question his pastor? Is AC taught to accept certain things by blind faith? What will happen if someone really believed in the "miracles" without verifying/questioning? Why are AC and his pastor using these "miracles" stories to evangelize?


The red ribbon is a symbol for solidarity with HIV-positive people and those living with AIDS.

For me, the REAL miracle of life is being ALIVE, and given the gift to experience & see this wonderful world, and to love and be loved.
=)

**Updated on 24th May 2011: The pastor replied that he is keen to volunteer for HIV/AIDS patients. However, he is working a DVD on Jesus healing people of cancer and HIV and will be completed in 2 weeks. He wants me to pass the DVD to the doctor-in-charge before meeting the doctor.

**Doctor-in-charge said that no miracle-healing allowed in the hospital, which is a sensible and responsible way of handling this. But, the pastor is encouraged to be a volunteer, but require to be interviewed by Doctor. The pastor was not too happy, and wanted me to pass his "miraculous healing" DVD to doctor when it's ready.


No comments: