Saturday, May 07, 2011

Being Singaporean

For the past few days, there were heated debates and discussions between Singaporeans on the General Election. It is the most fiercely contested election since our Independence in 1965. 

Workers' Party's Rally @ Serangoon Stadium

Despite our differences in opinions and views, I could feel the passion and love of my fellow Singaporeans towards our country. And reciting our national pledge at the end of the opposition's rally, epitomizes this Love for our Nation:

We, the citizens of Singapore,
pledge ourselves as one united people,
regardless of race, language or religion,
to build a democratic society
based on justice and equality
so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and
progress for our nation.


While I was reciting the pledge, I reflected about every single word and its meaning. 
We really care for our Nation. 
We really love our Nation.
It is being Singaporean.

There are many Heros among us whom I respect, and one of them is the 76 years-old opposition leader, Mr Chiam See Tong, who is still contesting despite suffering from a mild stroke.

"I am not a brave man. But I love Singapore and I love Singaporeans"
 - Chiam See Tong


Isn't that meaning of life?
To live for something Greater than yourself.

No comments: