Sunday, February 28, 2010

Choudon Orphanage

,Back in 2005, I was traveling across China and Tibet and I met a British gentlement (in his 50s) on the bus from airport to Lhasa City. He was helping out at an Orphanage ran by a Tibetan Couple without any government assistance. The founder (Nyima) was an orphan himself, and after seeing so many street kids in Lhasa, out of compassion and driven by his passion, he decided to quit his job as a tourist guide to setup and spend all his money on an orphanage. I guess Nyima is able to empathise and understand the orphans better than anybody. Amazing person. His wife also joined him full-time. 

Choudon Orphanage @ Lhasa, Tibet.
.
We decided to visit the orphanage and tried to understand the situation. The orphanage was overcrowded, there was no showering facility inside (The Kids had to shower once a week outside), they are facing financial difficulties as the only source of support is donation....
.
Unfortunately, the founder (Nyima) was not around when we visited the orphanage. Instead, his wife hosted us. As it was a long traveling trip for me, I had limited funds & donated some money at another place during the earlier part of the trip, hence, I did not donate any money. =(
.

Taken @ the orphanage
(I cannot remember which one is Nyima's wife - I think the one in white)
.
.
I did not forget the brief encounter, and I felt bad for not helping the orphanage. Fortunately, last year october, I met a Singaporean Lady who was going to Nepal, Tibet & China for a few months. She was kind enough to help me to find the orphanage and pass my small token (donation) to the orphanage.
.
She had a hard time searching for the orphanage, as the address I gave her was 4 years ago. After a few hours of searching in the small alley of Lhasa, she located the orphanage (which had shifted) and met Nyima. I was so happy to know that the orphanage is still around. She gave me a sad news - Nyima's wife passed away in 2008 due to some illness.
.
 It was sad. She was doing such a great job - showering love and protecting the helpless street kids, unfortunately, she left the world at a young age. It is just sad to know that a good person is no longer around. May she find peace and happiness in another world.
.
Life is just so unpredictable.
Life is impermanent.

No comments: