Saturday, December 24, 2011

One New Experience Each Week - ZoukOut

Lately, I haven't been trying out new experiences, partly because my list is getting shorter, the to-do-things are getting tougher and I am busy with my South America trip planning... 

Finally, I went for my FIRST Zoukout experience (partying from dusk till dawn @ beach). I wanted to go to the first Zoukout back in 2000, but I was in the wilderness of Australia in my army attire serving the nation. In fact, I dropped the idea of going to Zoukout for years, until last year when I realized that if I still did not go for Zoukout, I might be the oldest participant in a few years time.


Last year, Zoukout was a sold-out event as it was celebrating 10 years anniversary. I was at the venue, and I was so desperate that I was willing to pay $180/ticket when someone offered it (however, one of my friends did not want to pay such money, so I dropped the idea).

This year Zoukout was rather boring, but I was glad that I went, as I have no more desire to attend another Zoukout.

+++

Desire (aka Craving) is a very funny animal.
When I did not have something, I wanted it so badly.
I would work really hard to get it.
When I gotten it, it did not bring that kind of happiness that I expect.
Then, I would continue to search for something else.
It was a never ending game...

For example:  The Zoukout experience

I was willing to pay $180 for a ticket last year. But after this year experience, I might think twice even if someone offered me a free ticket.

For example:  The clubbing experience
Recently, my younger cousin was updating her FB that she was clubbing every weekend. I could understand that phase of life, as I used to club every weekend more than 10 years ago. After been there done that, I found it quite pointless to club EVERY weekend. It is a waste of money, time, energy and LIVER. At the same time, I am glad that I went through that phase, and I could understand why people do it.

For example:  The gambling experience
More than 10 years ago, my friend and I went on-board a gambling cruise ship. I gambled and lost all my money, and had a strong desire to fight the odds and win back my money. I thought of borrowing money, but I did not. My friend was in an even worse position, he borrowed money and lost thousands of dollars (that was a lot of money for a 20 year-old dude). Interestingly, he managed to recoup his losses and made some money. I asked him to stop, but he continued gambling as he felt really lucky. As expected, he lost every single cents. 

After this experience, I could understand compulsive gambling and the gambling addict mindset. It was quite a good albeit scary experience - Greed, Fear, Desire, Hope. I am thankful for losing my money, as it was a good lesson.

For example: The Dead Sea experience
Prior to visiting the Dead Sea, I had seen so many photos of people floating on the Dead Sea. I really wanted to experience it badly. When I was floating in the Dead Sea I enjoyed myself thoroughly. It was really magical and I have never experienced anything like that before. 

When I left the Dead Sea, I remembered vividly my thought was "So that was it??". I have no more desire to spend more time on the Dead Sea.

*If you haven't experienced it, you should do it at least once in your life* =) 

Desire is both satisfying and frustrating.
I guess, I am just being human.

1 comment:

jOanie-san said...

Count me in when u head for new moon party!