Monday, December 05, 2011

Article "Comfortable with the face I've earned" by Dr Lee Wei Ling

I really like Dr Lee Wei Ling's last few paragraphs on her article on Sunday Times (4th Dec'11). She was talking about being comfortable with her appearance and her general attitude towards life...



"I have not yet developed the ability to be totally detached from life's vicissitudes, but I have learnt to remind myself that desire of and attachment to worldly things bring suffering. I have this become fairly successful in curbing some of my attachments.

If I believed in reincarnation, then I would feel that I had many more lives to struggle through before I attained nirvana. But I don't believe in reincarnation, and I am convinced that I am a transient on this planet.

This means that if I don't want to suffer too much in this life, I must continually remind myself that while I should aspire to help other humans, I must also be willing to be detached when detachment is the only option.

I don't resent the misfortunes that fate has brought me. I accept them as lessons in life that only personal experience can teach. Indeed, I believe I am fortunate rather than unfortunate to have learnt these lessons."

No comments: