Thursday, December 15, 2011

The 50 most inspiring travel quotes

Some of my favourite quotes 

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain

 “A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” –John Steinbeck

 “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

″A traveler without observation is a bird without wings.” – Moslih Eddin Saadi

“Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” – Miriam Beard

“To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson

“A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu

“The journey not the arrival matters.” – T. S. Eliot

“A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill

“The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G. K. Chesterton

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships were built."

“Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey.” – Fitzhugh Mullan

Be comfortable.
Sleep anywhere
(Taken at Indian Train Station)

I do not know a lot of things in life, but at least, I know that traveling is definitely one of the best ways to be ALIVE. I learnt so much while I was traveling. I learnt to be less judgemental as I am more aware of my ignorance and lack of knowledge. I learnt that a simple kindness in a foreign land is heart warming and it could linger in the heart for years. I learnt to appreciate differences between cultures and people, at the same time, realising that deep within, everyone is the same. I am humbled by all the amazing people I met. I learnt to appreciate hiccups as part of the journey, and quite often, it makes the trip memorable and a good conversation topic.

Most importantly, traveling reminded me that I am an insignificant sentient being in this wonderful big world. While my existence does not matter, I am grateful that I have the opportunity to enjoy and appreciate this beautiful world. I am also aware that my time is limited....

+++

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

No comments: