Sunday, July 31, 2011

One New Experience Each Week - Night Safari

My first time visiting Night Safari.

"The Night Safari is the world's first nocturnal zoo and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Singapore. Constructed at a cost of S$63 million, the Night Safari was officially opened on 26 May 1994 and occupies 40 hectares (0.4 km²) of secondary rainforest adjacent to the Singapore Zoo and Upper Seletar Reservoir.
The Night Safari currently houses a total of 1,040 animals of 120 species, of which 29% are threatened species. The zoo is managed byWildlife Reserves Singapore, and about 1.1 million visitors visit the safari per year.[2] The Night Safari received its 11 millionth visitor on 29 May 2007." 

I guess... I really take things for granted. It has opened since 1994, and I stayed really near to Night Safari. It never crossed my mind that I should visit Night Safari until recently. It was a good experience, and I felt like a real tourist in my own country. 

Fire spitting and eating performance.

The tropical rain-forest is quite pretty at night.


This is the only picture that turns out okay, as flash photography is not allowed.

+++

At the tiger enclosure, I looked straight into the eyes of the tiger, and we were separated only by a glass. I had never been so close to a tiger. It is hard not be awed by this majestic and beautiful creature. It is really a masterpiece creation. What a wonderful experience!

This experience also reminded me of  Tigers I saw at Darjeeling Zoo (India). I remember that the roars of the tiger sent chills down my spine. I guess it is my instinctive reaction to run away. 

+++

One thing that sadden me was the lack of energy of the captive animals.
I asked myself this question:
"Would I rather be in the wild facing daily survival issues and dangers, 
or be in a zoo with no freedom but there is food and security?"

I would definitely want to be in wild.
Even though it is tough, at least, I experience the real world.
I could roam the world freely.
I rather get hurt than to wonder/dream about the real world.

This applies to my general outlook of life as well.
I would rather have the opportunity to risk and experience life, than to live a cocoon life.
There will always be fears and insecurities... but then, those are great learning opportunities as well (on a hindsight). I guess it is about not making judgement on the experiences, but to learn as much as possible. At the end of life, it is better to tried and failed, than failed to try.
=)

No comments: