Thursday, July 14, 2011

Movie: The Cove


"The Cove is a 2009 documentary film that analyzes and questions Japan's dolphin hunting culture. It was awarded the (2010) Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature. The film is a call to action to halt mass dolphin kills; change Japanese fishing practices; and to inform and educate the public about the risks, and increasing hazard, of mercury poisoning from dolphin meat."

I watched this show last evening, and I shed tears a few times while watching the movie. When I saw the killings, I asked myself why people are capable of brutality and cruelty for the sake of monetary interest. I realized that everybody who patronizes Sea World, Ocean Park or any parks with captive dolphins are indirectly responsible for the cruelty. The Biggest Irony is that those people who patronized those theme parks are dolphin lovers, yet, they are indirectly killing other dolphins. That's ignorance, and I was guilty as well. 

In the documentary, the dolphins were swimming freely in the ocean, it was beautiful and that is where they belong to. I would love to swim with them in the ocean. We should not be selfish. Dolphins are not born to bring entertainment to people. They born to be free. After the movie, I know I could not ignore it anymore. I must make a stand - Boycott all the theme parks that have captive dolphins. 

For more relevant info: 

I hope you watch the movie.
I hope you join me too.
=)

No comments: