Interestingly, I was thinking of posting similar content, but this post from Zen Habits illustrated this point very well. I shan't discuss more. =)
Taken from the post:
"How do we live our lives like this? It’s a completely different way of living, once we let go of the illusion:
- We stop setting goals, and instead do what excites us.
- We stop planning, and just do.
- We stop looking at the future, and live in the moment.
- We stop trying to control others, and focus instead on being kind to them.
- We learn that trusting our values is more important to taking action than desiring and striving for certain outcomes.
- We take each step lightly, with balance, in the moment, guided by those values and what we’re passionate about … rather than trying to plan the next 1,000 steps and where we’ll end up.
- We learn to accept the world as it is, rather than being annoyed with it, stressed by it, mad at it, despaired by it, or trying to change it into what we want it to be.
- We are never disappointed with how things turn out, because we never expected anything — we just accept what comes."
Taken from the The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
"It is easy to see that life is the cumulative effect of a handful of significant shocks… Go though the following exercise. Look into your own existence. Count the significant events, the technological changes, and the inventions that have taken place in our environment since you were born and compare them to what was expected before their advent. How many of them came on a schedule? Look into your own personal life, to your choice of profession, or meeting your mate, your exile from your country of origin, the betrayals you faced, your sudden enrichment or impoverishment. "
How many things in life are within your expectations & control?
Death, Accident, Illness, Promotion, Setback, Lottery, Falling in Love, Marriage, Divorce etc....
We like to make a lot of judgments based on hindsight and results... but the fact is there are too many factors and variables at work...
Letting Go is the wiser choice.
Move with the Flow...
And be FREE...