Sunday, May 10, 2009

Why am I a vegetarian (ie. Flexitarian)?

As absurd as it sounded, it started with a weird dream. The next day, I decided to be a vegetarian for a day, as meat reminded me of my vivid dream, which disgusted me. Ever since that day, I had becoming a flexitarian (Given a choice, I would definitely choose to be a vegetarian as long as it does not cause too much inconvenience to myself and people around me. )
.

Upon reading more and more about vegetarian – I realised it makes a lot of sense for me and the world. It is a more conscientious way of living – be responsible for your actions.
There is enough information on the web about the benefits of being vegetarian (http://www.vegetarian-society.org/)
(http://www.meat.org/)
(http://www.ime.usp.br/~kon/vegetarian.html)

.

Some friends used to me ask this:
Are you a vegetarian because you are a Buddhist or Animals’ Right activist?
My reply was whether I am a Buddhist or Animals’ Right activist is not important. These are just terms to categorise or stereotype people. Generally, I do not conform without rational and logical reasoning.

.

Be it for Buddhism or Animals’ Right, the reason is the same.
Compassion for Animal.
We do not want to see animals to suffer.
I do not want to eat tasty meal at the expense of an innocent and helpless domesticated animal.

.

My Colleague told me that animals are created to be eaten by man.
Based on my mortal and limited reasoning ability, I do not know about the purpose of creation of animals (That’s beyond my intellectual ability), but I do know that animals can experience pain and suffering. If the animals are meant to be food for human beings, why let them suffer? Why let them go through the pain? This is something that I could not comprehend and could not reconcile.

.

Normally, the next question posted would be: How do you (vegetarian) know that plants are not suffering?
I really do not know if plants are suffering or not, but i know for sure that animals are suffering while kept in farms and are experiencing pain while being slaughtered.

.

Then, the next thing posted to me would be:
You are not enjoying life – like enjoying the nice food etc... The typical “live to eat” mentality.
I take pleasure and joy in knowing that I am not part of the equation that causes animals to suffer. I believe in “eat to live” – life is not about eating good food, life is way beyond that!

.

It has been more than 6 months since I became flexitarian. Not sure if I have the self-discipline and determination to become a Vegan. How long am I going to be vegetarian? I do not know either– may be as long as it makes sense to me.

.

I was contemplating if I should upload this post, as it challenges some fundamental beliefs. I might get unnecessary negative feedbacks, but I believe that challenging ideas and beliefs is for the good of the progression of the mind and the society as a whole.
.
If someone, after reading my post, decides to eat less meat. I have already achieved my objective of posting this entry. =)

.

Some Quotes:

.

"What is it that should trace the insuperable line? ...The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"
Jeremy Bentham, philosopher.
.

"Our task must be to free ourselves . . . by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty." "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel Prize 1921

.

"People always tell me that it's useless to be a vegetarian. But, if I can save a single cow during my entire life, I'll be happy."
Bruna Angotti, student

No comments: