Friday, May 22, 2009

Book: Leaving Microsoft to Change the World

This is the second book that I bought this year (and I still have not started reading those books that I bought long time ago).
It was good to spend 2 weeks in reservist, as I had lotsa time to read books & magazines. I finished reading this book easily and glad that I purchased it.
.

In summary, John Wood was a high-achiever in Microsoft. He went to Nepal for a trekking trip, while during the trip, he kinda found his calling – to provide education opportunity for kids in developing countries. He struggled between answering this calling and the “bread & butter” needs. He took the plunge (dwindling savings account, breaking up with his girlfriend who thinks differently, uncertain future outlook, long long working hours etc...). It was very heartening to know that there is such passionate, smart & capable person, willing to devote all his time to charity work.
The world is lucky to have such people around.

.

A trivial: He ran Boston Marathon with a Timing of 3hrs 4mins despite his heavy schedule as a top executive in Microsoft.
(Respect! Respect!)

.

These are some quotes from the book:
.

“...How many millions of kids will not have the opportunities I have in life, simply because they were denied an education at a young age? It’s almost like there is this ‘lottery of life’. At a young age, children are arbitrarily deemed to be winners or losers, based upon where they were born.... It is not fair. I think it is in our power to do something about it” – John Wood

.

“... I then rationalized to myself, what good are savings if you can’t use them to fund your dream.” – John Wood

.

“...We tell the parents, especially those with girls – don’t let your daughters become prostitutes or drop out of school.” – One of the Volunteers

.

“... these Kids do not get a second chance..” – John Wood

.

Each of these acts (charity work) is symbolic of the best that exist inside all of us...” – John Wood

.

Below was written in the context of leaving his job & dwindling savings, so much so that he could not afford to buy any properties, he had to beg frequent-flier miles from friends etc...
.

...Yes, there were trade-offs, but there always will be in life.... I feel lucky to know who I am, what I want to focus on, and the yardsticks by which i will measure myself.” – John Wood.
.

++++
Another Inspiration!



Let’s see if we could just do our bit to make this world a better place.
=)

No comments: