Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Bye Triathlon & Marathon...

Bye my bike...


I gave away StandChart Marathon ticket last Dec, and gave away my roadbike last month. I would not do endurance sports again, unless there is a very good reason to pick it again.  I felt sad when I bid farewell to my roadbike.

I spent some money, energy and lotsa of time purchasing triathlon related items, participating in races, and training almost every day.  I understand why people can get addicted to triathlon. I understand why people could wake up at unearthly hour of 5am to cycle. I understand why people feel sad if they don’t exercise. I understand why people can be so inspired by triathlon.

I am really glad that I picked up the sport. It was a wonderful experience to feel alive and push my limit. I would also miss the time when I train with my friends. I would miss the excitement of participating in the race, swimming in the sea during sunrise, running hard even though I was tired...

The best thing about triathlon is that it breaks my self-limiting belief. There is immense self-satisfaction to overcome challenges and pushing myself hard. And it was kinda cool to do triathlon, as it is a lifestyle associated with the more affluent & fit people.

When i first started, I set my goal at finishing Olympic Distance Triathlon. Then I completed Half Ironman Triathlon, but I would never complete a full Ironman Triathlon. That’s okay with me.

Unfortunately, the doctor had recommended me not to do endurance sports anymore, and coincidentally, I think it is the right time to spend my time and energy on other more important aspects of life. It comes a time when I started asking myself: What do I achieve at the end of the day? Am I still enjoying triathlon as much as before? Should I spend my time, energy and effort on more important things? Am doing it to prove to others or myself?

Well, there is a time for everything. Been there Done that. Time to move on...

“The medals don’t mean anything and the glory doesn’t last. It’s all about your happiness” – Jackie Joyner-Kersee

I am happy that I have experienced it. I am happy to give it up as well. =)

3 comments:

Jon Boo said...

In case you haven't noticed you've been a piece of inspiration.
Working towards tri-by-30 was fun. I only wish we could work towards iron-by-35.

Boon said...

Thanks Jon... finally you are using your real name!!!

Anonymous said...

I really admire your ability to let go something you enjoy doing just like tat. Probably health is your main priority. Only if I can take things lightly as you do.