Monday, August 23, 2010

Volunteering at Communicable Diease Centre

Last friday evening, It was my first timing visiting Communicable Diease Centre (CDC), where I was supposed to befriend & counsel some of the HIV/AIDS Patients warded there. I was a bit apprehensive, as I was not sure if my presence is of any value, and I had never met any HIV/AIDS people before.
.
Even though HIV is not transmitted via bodily contacts, there are many precautionary measures for volunteers like me, for example, washing our hands every time we exit the ward, as well as wearing personal protective equipment like glove & mask. 
.
It was the first time in my life that I massaged strangers. For a moment, my pride and ego surfaced and I asked myself :why did I want to massage them? What have they done to deserve my service? 
Then, I realized that all these questions arise from my ego and they are secondary. The more important question is: Did I bring comfort and love to someone who is terminally ill and in need of some kindness?
.
At the end of the day, I was happy that I could bring comfort (even though it is insignificant) to AIDS patients who are badly stigmatized by the society. 
I think I would continue this service.
=)
.
Quote:

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.  If you want to be happy, practice compassion.  
~Dalai Lama

A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives flowers.  
~Chinese Proverb

No comments: