Friday, January 23, 2009

Book - "The Last Time I saw Tibet" by Bimal Dey

"The Last Time I saw Tibet"
by Bimal Dey
This Author has a very interesting life
.
.
.
A 16 years old teenager from Calcutta with nothing, and by sheer luck and good fortune, joined a group of Lamas for a pilgrimage to Tibet. It was in 1956, when Sikkim was still not part of India, when Dalai Lama was still living in Potala Palace, when Tibet was still closed to the rest of the world. It was an amazing journey that bring him to Lhasa and eventually to Mt Kailash & Mansarovar. He was able to meet Dalai Lama (Living Buddha & King) in Tibet. This had shown that he was quite blessed.
.
.
.
After many years, he went back to Tibet with apprehension.
In fact, I enjoyed the last chapter, where I see a struggle within himself. He could not forgot the mystical and beauty of the untainted Tibet, however on his recent trip, what he saw was the onslaught of the Chinese way of modernity. This strike accord with me, as I have similar experience.
.
.
.
If you ever think of visiting Tibet, I truly recommend you to read this book.
This book would give you another perspective of Tibet that is beyond the beauty of its Mountains, Lakes and Monsteries.
.
.
.
There are alot of debates on the independence of Tibet.
I felt that the below extract tells alot:
Context: During the author's recent trip to Tibet, meeting with a head lama of a monastery.
.
The head lama asked me directly 'Have you brought any pictures of His Holiness the Dalai Lama as a gift for me?'
.
'No,' I answered, 'I have been forbidden to carry pictures of the Dalai Lama.'
.
'Oh, yes! That's right.' he laughed, 'those who give such pictures and those who receive them are both criminals...'
.
.
.
Freedom in Tibet???

No comments: