Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My thoughts on Ming Yi's Saga (Misappropriation of Funds)

.
When I first heard of the news, I was very disappointed and upset. Before the verdict was out, everybody around me was saying that Ming Yi was guilty, but I was defending him – saying that let’s not make judgment before the verdict was out. I believe in drawing conclusion based on facts.
.
I was already upset with NKF incident, as I was donating monthly since year 1 in university and every time during the charity show (taking into consideration that I had limited monthly allowance). For Ming Yi’s incident, I was even more upset because he does not represent himself only, but the Buddhist fraternity. I believe he drew more donations because of his position as a Buddhist monk. At least, I donated as I was touched by his sincerity and his compassion.
.
A role of a Buddhist monk is to dedicate his life to help all beings (that’s why they are normally vegetarian), to be de-attached to the worldly possession (simple living) etc… and ultimately, attain enlightenment for the sake of all beings. If a monk who seek enlightenment for self-interest, he will NEVER succeed. That is why I have high respect for Monks.
.
After thinking and pondering over this incident, I still must admit that he did a great job for the patients at Ren Ci Hospital. Without him, I do not know what would happen to the lives of the patients.
.
From the news:
“Trying hard to hold back his tears, Ming Yi revealed that it was Venerable Siong Khye who sparked the determination in him to set up a hospital for the chronically ill. It was to fulfil his wishes that Ming Yi went on to take over the Chronic Sick Unit at the old Woodbridge Hospital, despite his acquaintances telling him he would not succeed.”
.
May be my expectation of a monk is too high. Nobody is infallible, and we are mere mortals who commit mistakes. Everybody comes in different shades of grey (a mixture of White & Black – Good & Bad). Under different conditions, our shade of grey might darken or lighten.
.
A friend once told me “To Err is human, to forgive is divine”. (I think it is taken from the Bible). While it is normal to make mistake, it takes a lot of courage to seek forgiveness and it takes a lot of wisdom to forgive.
.
That being said, I would definitely continue to donate to Ren Ci Hospital.
The patients are innocent.

No comments: