Monday, August 05, 2013

Visiting Yogam Center in Singapore

I attended an introduction on root pattern analysis at Yogam center in Singapore. I have been to many different religious meetings previously, but I have never been to a religious/spiritual meeting that is centered around a Swami (Indian holy man).


Being naturally inquisitive, I decided to find out more about this Swami, unfortunately, I found scandal of this Swami. Despite of this, I told myself that I should try to keep an open-mind and be respectful.

As I have attended many religious meetings, the techniques applied to convince people are quite similar:
  1. A successful person who was skeptical previously and saw great improvement in life after embracing the teaching. (In this session, the instructor was introducing herself as someone who took care of US$75m Microsoft business in USA.)
  2. Interviews and examples of people whose lives transformed after this adopting this technique/teachings/beliefs.
  3. Introducing fears. If you do not embrace this teaching/technique/beliefs, your life will not improve or even worse, something negative will happen to you.
  4. Selling hopes. Your life will improve tremendously, or life of abundance should be your birthright etc…
I always advocate that everyone should apply critical thinking. Embrace the technique/teaching/belief only because it makes sense to us. And not because someone else who is successful embraces it.

One of the exercises is that you have to think about a negative experience, and ask yourself 3 questions:
How do you feel about yourself? What is your view of the world? How do you cope or react to it?

My answers: I felt incapable and unknowledgeable. My view of the world is it is tough and very competitive. My reaction is acknowledging that I have my limitations, but at the same time, I also have my strengths. As long as I have put in effort, I should not be too upset.

When some participants started to share their experiences, I realized that many people felt that they are not good enough, even professionals like currency trader and lawyer (on the appearance, they looked so confident).

My conclusion is that it is okay to feel that we are not good enough. We are all work in progress. =)

While it has been an interesting experience, I figured that this technique does not suit me. We were supposed to let out this sound (like OM..) and feel the energy in the room. Those folks who were initiated by Guru was overwhelmed by energy and started to jump while seated. The energy that I felt was headache and I can’t wait for them to stop.

There is no absolute right or wrong. It is a matter of suitability.
I am thankful for the experience and look for to other experiences. =)


Below is a youtube of the Swami and his jumping followers:

No comments: