Friday, September 26, 2008

Book: Shambhala

Just finished reading this book.
I could not stop reading it.
I hope it will never end.
Shambhala: The Road Less Travelled in Western Tibet
by Laurence J. Brahm
About:
In a shop in Lhasa, Laurence Brahm stumbles upon an ancient Buddhist sutra, Shambhala Sutra. His purchase of this ancient sutra sets him off on a journey in search of the mythical Shambhala, known to the rest of the world as "Shangri-La". In this illustrated account of his journey, Brahm uses the sutra as a guide as he ventures into some of the most remote places in Tibet. There he meets monks, living Buddhas, nomads, and a Bodhisattva in disguise, who point out to him how they thought the road to Shambhala should be followed. Finally, the road leads him to Tashilumbo Monastery, where the Eleventh Panchen Lama resides and it here that the Shambhala Sutra calls home.
.
.
.
Now, I had a strong urge to explore the Western Tibet, which I did not cover the last trip.
It reminded me of my Tibet trip, which covered Central & Eastern Tibet.


On the way to Shigatse from Lhasa...

Scenery along the way...


Tashilumbo Monastery, Shigatse

where Panchen Lama and Shambhala Sutra resides...

.

.

.

My favourite phrase:

THE BODHISATTVA

"There is a Bodhisattva, a beautiful girl, who wishes that all people crossing from here will not be poor"

- Shambhala Sutra

No comments: